Vardhan Building at Wagle Industrial Estate consists many Government offices. One of the key office where hundreds of visitors come here is Passport office. There are about 500 passport applications processed in a day here.
One can apply for the any of these kind passport online here http://passport.gov.in/
- New Fresh Passport (Fees Rs. 1500)
- Re-issue Passport (Fees Rs. 1000)
- Passport for Minor (Fees Rs. 600)
- Replacement passport in liu of Lost or Damaged Passport (36 pages – Rs. 2500, 60 pages – Rs. 3000)
Process is same as fresh passport for Change of Address, Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Appearance, Spouse Name, Name of Parents/Legal Guardian.
Once you have filled the form online, you’ll get the 6 page pdf document for printing.
Be careful, while filling online form, these should represent exact details on certificates or ration card.
You need to affix 3 latest passport size photos on these forms. (3.5 inch by 3.5 cms)
Most probably your form will give you time to visit passport office at 10:00 am in the morning.
This is what you need to do when you arrive there.
Keep all the papers ready (Make two sets of xerox documents)
- Proof of residence (2 xerox copies along with original)
- Ration Card, Electricity Bill, Gas connection bill etc.
- Birthdate proof (2 xerox copies along with original)
- PAN Card, School/College Leaving Certificate. People born after 1989 will need Birth Certificate.
- Married women need to submit marriage certificate to show change in Surname.
- Convocation certificate or mark-sheet of last exam passed, in case if you are claiming ECNR.
- Minor application should have 2 xerox copies of parent’s valid passport, along with the form.
- For each complicated case ( like adopted child), you may be asked to produce more proofs.Minor passport should be accompanied with Annexure ”H” form or other cases like Change of name after marriage, additional proofs for Tatakal scheme. These are just few examples.
- In case if you have Valid VISA for US/UK, you need not submit the old passport for re-issue. You can get the cancel stamp on passport and collect the same back. You need to provide xerox copies of all the passport pages to passport officer instead of old passport.
- Get in the queue for Token number. This token number entitles you to stand in sequence for verification of form and is valid for that particular date only.
- Wait for your turn while there is announcement for each token number and the counter number to be visited. This is announced and also shown on display.
- Visit the Verification counter number as appearing on display.
- Present all the papers and answer the questions as asked (Be very particular and specific, these officers will give you only 2 to 3 minutes to process your application)
- If Verification is cleared, pay the cash to nearest counter. In case you have Draft, you don’t need to pay anything here.
- If all goes well you will get a fee receipt which you need for inquiries, in case you don’t receive the passport.
- Your passport will arrive at your home through speed post.
Average time for receiving the passport is
- Fresh New Passport in 35 Days. Tatkaal application may get in 1 to 7 days.
- Reissue of passport (after 10 years) in 7 days in case no police verification required. Tatkaal application may get in 1 to 7 days
- Fresh Minor passport in 15 days. Tatkaal not offered for Minor
Passport related FAQ at Thane Police website : http://thanepolice.org/FAQ’s13.html
DISCLAIMER: This information is based on personal experience. Please visit passport office website for official details or consult your passport Agent.